47,312 beneficiaries helped in April 2022
$419,996 distributed in the form of value vouchers
$129,940 distributed through vocational and applied training (estimate)
$3.8 million six-month net financing needs (May 2022 – October 2022)
• The implementation of the e-voucher program in six temporary accommodation centers in southeastern Turkey with the Turkish Red Crescent continued without interruption. In April, 42,113 refugees received assistance in the form of monthly transfers of 150 Turkish Liras (TRY) (USD 10) per person to help them meet their basic needs.
• Many camp residents who have left the camps are asking to return due to the lack of job opportunities and the economic crisis in the country.
• The complementary satisfaction survey that followed the distribution of an additional 1,300 TRY (89 USD) per camp household in two equal installments in February and March has been finalized. Beneficiaries said that this aid had helped them to buy products such as bread, oil, sugar, salt and bulgur, but that it had not been enough for them to buy more expensive food products, such as than meat.
• The Socio-Economic Empowerment and Sustainability (SES) Programme, WFP’s flagship livelihoods program rolled out in collaboration with the Ministry of National Education (MoNE) and the Turkish Employment Agency, continued empower refugees and members of the host community . As of April, 852 participants, 56% of them women, were in vocational or applied training in 14 provinces (Adana, Ankara, Bursa, Gaziantep, Hatay, Istanbul, Izmir, Kahramanmaras, Kayseri, Kocaeli, Konya, Mersin, Sanliurfa and Sivas) . The trainings in progress in April were the kitchen assistant, computer, food packaging, store attendant, CNC operator and housekeeping trainings.
• WFP continued its efforts to expand its network of partners in order to broaden the scope and sector of intervention of SES and maintained its outreach activities to attract more potential participants.
• As part of SES activities, WFP has started planning a Chefs’ Tour which will take place from 9 to 19 May 2022 in the provinces of Ankara, Hatay, Istanbul and Izmir. A Colombian chef, Charlie Otero, will cook and share his culinary knowledge and tips with SES participants and teachers.